Unread 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Default Florida to Panama

Has anyone ever went from Florida to South America/Panama? if so what is the best route. how was your experience? where can you get gas? where is good places to dock? thank you for your time, any of these questions answered will be very helpful.

Dustin
Unread 09-11-2010, 09:03 PM

Dustin, I have sailed this route on yacht deliveries in the past. I can tell you this. Regardless of what the chart books tell you, do not rely on fuel being at every fuel dock. I have traveled in lower endurance vessels, and even called ahead at ports and they have verified fuel there. When I arrived a day later, there had been no fuel there for weeks. They do this to attract your business for hopes of docking and hotel fees. I have had this especially in the southern side of the Bahama Islands. One place in Andros Island told me I had to get in a pick up truck with a group of shady looking guys and travel 15 miles to can the fuel back to the vessel after they had advertised a working fuel dock. There was none when I arrived. With that being said, if you take this passage I hope it is in a higher endurance vessel. As far as the route, you will get many opinions on this but I like to stay as close to land as possible. So I go down the east side of Florida, dot along the keys in the straights, and then skirt Cuba to Belize then down the Central American coast to Panama. If you make it to the Panama Canal, stay with your vessel. The nearest city is Colon, and it is not a terribly safe area for Gringos in my opinion.